Unit 3 - Energy & States of Matter Part 2
1. Relate observations regarding
the addition of energy by warming to increased particle motion.
2. Describe the characteristics of solids, liquids, and gases in terms of particles and their:
¤use particle diagrams to account for motion and density
process of how the arrangement of matter particles changes during phase changes
¤infer the necessity of an attractive force between particles at close range from observations of dfferences
in cohesiveness of the three phases
¤describe and contrast particle motion in
the three phases singly, and during phase changes.
3. Recognize energy as a conserved, substance-like quantity that is always involved when a system undrgoes
4. Recognize that
energy is stored in an object or system in several ways
5. Describe the ways that energy is transferred between the system and the surrounding.
6. Draw energy bar graphs to account for
energy storage and transfer.
Given a heating/cooling curve for a substance, identify what phase(s) is/are present in the various portions of the
curve, and identity the melting and freezing temperatures of the substance.